Gifted Athlete Support Programme
SU Sport, University of Chichester Institute of Sport and the Sport Performance and Rehabilitation Unit (SPRU) has developed the Gifted Athlete Scholarship Programme (GASP) to help support students at the University who compete on the International or National stage.
The programme provides both financial and scientific support, providing the opportunity for athletes to balance their sport and academic life throughout their time at the University of Chichester.
As an institution we understand the sacrifice in time elite athletes make which may impact the balance of academic and sporting performance. The GASP Entry Programme is designed to assist student athletes gaining access to high quality teaching at the University of Chichester whilst also continuing their development as athletes.
GASP ENTRY PROGRAMME
The entry programme is open to all perspective students who currently applying to attend the University of Chichester.
For the 2019/20 academic year, successful applicants to the GASP Entry Programme will be offered a two grade reduction in entry requirements. To apply to the programme please ensure you complete the prospective student application form by the 17thMarch 2019.
Who can apply
To be eligible for consideration for the GASP applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Fulfil the normal entry requirements for the course for which you are applying or are currently studying,
- Be competing at International, National or Regional level in a Sport England recognised sport
- Commitment to being an ambassador for Sport at the University of Chichester
- Commitment to represent the University of Chichester in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS)
- Be prepared to make the University of Chichester your ‘Firm’ choice on UCAS
There are three levels of support we currently offer athletes on the GASP, Elite, Development and a BUCS Award.
The table below outlines the specific criteria and level of competition an Athlete needs to compete at for each support package:
- Student athlete currently competing at an international or national level in a BUCS and / or UK Sport recognised sport.
- Inclusion in NGB Development or Excel Programmes
- Student athlete currently competing at national or regional level in a UK Sport and / or BUCS recognised sport
- Student athlete competing at a regional level in a BUCS recognised sport
What you can expect
The level of support you can expect from the programme is dependent on the level of support package:
For further information on what additional support is avaliavble please visit SPRU here.
*Level of Financial support, kit and gym membership is dependent on recruitment to programme
What we expect
In return for providing you with the support that you need:
- Student athletes will be expected to contribute to a University sports club and expected to represent the University in BUCS
- Have an exemplary class attendance and maintain satisfactory academic and sporting progress to have continued access to the support programme.
- Support the promotion of the sporting profile of the University of Chichester including press releases, photographs and information for articles
- Commitment to become a Sporting Ambassador for the University of Chichester SU and Institute of Sport
- Support any GASP meeting or workshop
Priority will be given to athletes that compete within a BUCS sport. Further terms and conditions can be found here
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
Applications will be evaluated in line with the criteria outlined by a number of representatives from the University of Chichester and Students’ Union. The number of successful applicants will be capped and meeting the criteria does not guarantee entry onto GASP.
Applicants will be informed in writing if their application has been successful by 31stMarch 2019.
A second phase of applications for current University of Chichester students will open in August / September 2019