International Students' Officer
CHIDIEBERE AGUAGWA (HE/HIM)
When I am not working or studying, I’m often experimenting with recipes that blend traditional Nigerian flavours with British ingredients to create a culinary fusion. I also like watching movies, listening to music, playing video games, hanging out with friends, and meeting new people.
What Course are you on? Social Work (MA)
Your role and responsibilities
- Represents the views and interests of international students to the student council and the university
- Holds the union officer team and trustees to account on issues of concern to international students
- Attends NUS events related to international students on behalf of the union
Your manifesto points? (Bullet pointed)
- Create channels where students can lodge their challenges.
- Ensure that the international students’ voice is heard and work towards prompt resolution of issues and difficulties.
- Promote proper representation of international students on both campuses.
- Foster a stronger international student community where we can network, support each other, and hold events that will give international students a chance to be more involved in student union activities.
- Promote cultural diversity through programs that will celebrate the countries of origin of students on their respective national days.
- Create a buddy system for both new and existing students to ease adaptation and provide support as required.
What are you are looking forward to achieving with your role? I look forward to a more closely-knit international student community across both campuses such that international students feel a sense of belonging and are socially connected to each other.