WSIHE Round Up - 08.11.17

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.



There were mixed fortunes for WSIHE teams in both league and cup.


Women's football picked up perhaps the result of the week at Premier South runaway leaders University of Hertfordshire. Perry Northeast's side lost 5-1 in the reverse fixture on the first day of the season but proved much more stubborn opposition this time out. And a lone strike by Laura Ingram on the hour mark, crashing in a Hannah Reed corner, settled things.


Herts, featuring a number of current Women's Super League and England youth team players, were restricted to long range efforts in the first half and WSIHE maintained a defensive solidarity once they'd got in front.


After the match Northeast said, “We had a game plan and it worked. With it 0-0 at the break we knew that as long as every member of the team could remain focused on their individual roles defensively a chance could be created going forward.”


The win moves the women up to second place behind Herts who dropped their first points of the season. Women's twos also won on the road thumping Portsmouth 5-0.



In hockey, the women's second team lost 3-0 at home to Reading fours despite starting brightly. Sadly, they couldn't make this early pressure tell and the visitors went ahead on the stroke of half time when a lack of concentration allowed a Reading winger to break through and cross to set up a simple tap in for the unmarked forward. An almost identical goal doubled the lead on 63 minutes followed by a third clinical finish five minutes later. The women's ones and men's twos both suffered odd-goal cup exits but men's ones are through after a 2-0 win.


In rugby, the men's first team crushed Brighton twos 55-3 on the lower pitch in the cup but the women's unbeaten league run came to an end at title rivals Canterbury Christ Church. After the match coach Simon Carter said, “We came up against more experienced players today that executed their game plan, whereas we had a few players who had only played three or four matches. Canterbury started really well and we were 14-0 down before we knew it. But to our credit we got back into it at 14-12. To be honest, half time came at the wrong time for us when we'd just got some momentum going. Then they got a quick try and a clever penalty and we couldn't catch up. Some of our players will be battered and bruised. We'll go again next week against Imperial.”



It looks like there's going to be all sorts of twists and turns in Prem South for men's football. In a rare evening kick off away at champions Hartpury under floodlights it was the hosts who went ahead in the fifth minute thanks to a looping header from Ed Weeks. The next attack might have brought an equaliser but Jamie Chand couldn't quite get a touch on Lloyd Rowlatt's low cross, and then the visitors had what looked like a stonewall penalty waved away by the referee.


A two minute spell in the second half did for Danny Potter's side. First Hartpury's No.9 Ethan Moore bundled the ball in from close range after Luke Hutchings' initial stop before a Nick Grimes free-kick took a cruel deflection off the wall and spun agonisingly out of reach of the WSIHE keeper. Moore added a fourth with twelve minutes or so to go latching on to a loose ball that Hutchings had tried to claw away.


Afterwards coach Potter said, “Hartpury were the better side and really got at us in the first twenty minutes. They put out a strong team. We did have the ball for periods but didn't really do enough with it.”



Elsewhere in men's football there were cup losses for the threes, fours and fives whilst the sixes, who are on a decent run in the league, advanced to the next round with a 2-0 win against the Middlesex second team thanks to a double from Kieran Dowell. Dowell's first goal, a composed header into the bottom right hand corner after a fantastic delivery by full-back Matt Wood was followed by a scruffy left foot finish across the keeper.        


Women's lacrosse got another big league win and men’s table tennis narrowly preserved an unbeaten run that stretches back over a year coming through a tight 9-8 contest with LSE. There were also cup wins for men's basketball ones and netball fives who are also undefeated in league action this season.




We'll be posting our best snaps of the sporting fixtures on a weekly basis so follow SU Sport on Facebook to stay up to date with all the best images of our sports teams in action.

If you have any images or match reports that you’d like us to share or publish on our weekly sporting round up then please send them into and we’ll post them online.

Or, if you’d like to get involved in SU Sport then visit the SU Sport webpage for further information.




No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.